St Peters Church in early spring
(Photo: Hillas Smith)
Our present church dates from 1340 when the original Anglo-Saxon building was completely rebuilt. When complete the church had a tower but this collapsed in the 1770's. The tower was reduced to a stump which survived until the Second World War when a landmine that fell close by made it unsafe and the remains had to be dismantled.
The exterior of the parish church is unusual in that it has no tower or spire and also has a thatched roof.
Westleton is one of the eight parishes within the Yoxmere Confederation. The Priest in charge is the Reverend Canon Christine Redgrave, of Yoxford Vicarage, Yoxford IP17 3JU. Telephone 01728 648271.
The church has a wide variety of services at which both traditional and modern liturgies are used.
The church has fine acoustic qualities, which, combined with its light airy appearance, makes it a superb venue for concerts and recitals. These are held on a regular basis and details may be found in the Parish Magazine “The Yoxmere Fisherman”.
More information is available at the website:
The 100 club is a joint venture between the Church and Village Hall. The proceeds are shared equally between them. To see the winners click on the links to the left..